Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Orzo Stuffed Peppers


Yesterday, this blog posted a recipe for Orzo Stuffed Peppers.  Their photos almost always make me salivate, and this one was no exception. I had to make it as soon as possible.  I didn't have all the ingredients the recipe called for and I really didn't want to go to the store, so I just did what I could with what I had on hand.  I think they turned out fabulous! 

The point I want to make here is that we often feel like we have to follow recipes exactly as they are written.  You don't.  Especially with general cooking, breads and things like that may be a different story.  Be creative and don't be afraid to add your own flair to a recipe. 

Here is the recipe I ended up doing.  But make sure you check out the inspiration, which I'm sure is amazing as well. 

Orzo Stuffed Peppers

1/2 of a small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
drizzle of olive oil
3 cups chicken broth (or veggie broth)
1 cup orzo pasta
1- 14 oz can of diced tomatoes (Italian style could be good)
3/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, shredded
3 bell peppers (yellow, red, and orange are definitely the prettiest and taste best, but green could be fine)
1/4 cup fresh basil or 1tsp. dried
salt a pepper

Cook the orzo in broth for about 5 minutes or until partially cooked.  It will finish cooking as it bakes.  Save the broth in the baking dish you plan to use for the peppers.
Saute the onion with olive oil and salt and pepper until tender.  Add the garlic and cook for one minute more.  When it is done, add the mixture to bowl.  Add the tomatoes, orzo, cheese and basil and stir to combine.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
Cut off the tops of the peppers and remove the membranes inside.  Cut a thin slice off the bottom of the pepper so it will stand up on its own (don't cut so much that you make a hole).  Spoon the mixture into the bell peppers so they are very full.  
Place the filled peppers in the baking dish with the broth.  Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes.  At that time, top them with extra cheese and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until a nice golden crust forms on top.  Enjoy!

No comments: