Tuesday, October 26, 2010

#12: Make Baby Food


I have accomplished one thing from my list of 50 things!  One down, 49 to go.  Making homemade baby food was a lot of fun and very easy.  I learned a lot on how I can improve the process in the future.  I made mine with peaches and here's how I did it.

Cut the peaches in half and leave the pits in.

  
Place a baking sheet on your oven rack and use a pitcher or glass to to pour about 1 inch of water into it.  Trust me on this one.  I put the water in the pan before and when I tried to put it in the oven... I spilled all over the place.  Then arrange the peach halves cut side down.

I ate one of the halves... oops!  It was too tempting.

Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until the peaches are nice and tender and the skin starts to pucker, about 10-15 minutes.  When they are done, please DO NOT pick up the pan.  The water will be hot.  Use a baster to remove the water and then take them out of the oven.  Save some of the water in a bowl in case you need to thin your puree.

Remove the pits.


And then remove the skins.  They come off very easily.


Then dice 'em up!


Throw them in your food processor (or blender) and process until smooth.
 

If the mixture seems too thick, add some of your peach water.  My texture was perfect with the juice that accumulated on the cutting board.

Use a tablespoon to distribute into ice cube trays.  It fits perfectly and that way you know exactly how much your baby is eating.  I got 4 trays out of 5 1/2 peaches.


  Wrap the trays in plastic wrap and label what it is and when you made it.  Remove one or two cubes as needed.  They will stay good in the freezer for 3 months.  I can't wait to try more foods! 

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'm glad to see how well that worked! Good Job! Abby will love them.