Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Thoughts on Homemade Baby Food


I made the goal to make my own baby food at least once.  Well, as it turns out, I have made all of the fruits and veggies for my baby up to this point.  I have been happy with it and thought I would share my experience in case someone out there has questions about it.

Here are some pros for doing it:
  • It is cheaper than buying premade baby food.  I haven't done a cost analysis on it or anything, but unless you are really good at coupons, I'm confident it is cheaper.  It would be even cheaper if you got most of the foods from your garden or fruit trees (either during the season or frozen from your garden previously).
  • Making large batches and then freezing them is very convenient.  If I were to make the food each day for each meal, there is no way I would do it.  Thank goodness for freezers!  I freeze about a tablespoon in each space of ice cube trays.  The foods are best if you use them within a month, but you can keep them up to 3 months. 
  • It doesn't take much timeMaking baby food isn't like making a meal at all.  All you really have to do is some peeling and chopping, then let it bake or steam, and then puree.  I probably make a food two times a week on average, which hasn't been too overwhelming.  
  • Lack of jars and plastic containers.  Maybe this isn't a big deal for most of you, but I have a hard time getting rid of containers that could be used again.  Therefore, I could definitely see myself stashing away those jars and not knowing what to do with them.  I'm glad I don't have that clutter to deal with (believe me, I have enough as it is).
  • Costco frozen produce.  Sometimes it can be hard to find good produce out of season, so that is why I have discovered I love Costco's frozen bags.  They are a pretty good deal and that way you have a large quantity in your freezer ready to go. 
Here are some cons I have found.
  • Freezer space.  If you don't have a lot of freezer space, it could be harder to do.  The ice cube trays don't take up much space, but if you are buying a bunch of frozen produce, then a lack of space can occur.  We don't buy a ton of other frozen foods, so it has been fine.  But... I still can't wait for the day when I can have an extra freezer!
  • Time.  Even though it isn't much time, it does take up time and requires some preparation.  And for mothers who have way busier schedules than I do, I can definitely see why you wouldn't bother making baby food.  Convenience is a powerful thing!
  • Produce out of season.  You may not have as large of variety when you make your baby food because you can't always get some foods.  Or you can, but they are expensive and don't taste great.  Frozen foods, and even dried foods such as prunes, are a good way to combat this. 
Would I do this for my next child?  I am pretty positive I will.  Especially if I have that extra freezer I dream about.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katherine! I had no idea you had a blog~ You are freakin talented! I'm going to follow your blog. Hope you don't mind~ I'm totally thinking about homemaking baby food so this was very helpful~

Tristin said...

I ended up making all of my babe's food while she was in the pureed stage and it worked out beautifully! It was neat to make my own concoctions and to know exactly the quality of the veggies in my kiddos food. I still am picky about what she eats! I think it's great that you're making your babe's food, too!

I still make convenient toddler foods to have in the freezer to avoid the sodium and preservative laden convenience foods that are in the baby section of grocery stores--like I make spaghetti with meat sauce and bake it in mini-muffin tins with cheese on top and store them in the freezer. It's a quick and ready meal, and much cleaner than eating spaghetti in its loose
form.

Dang, that was a looong comment, sorry! Just something I'm passionate about, I guess!

Oh, and I did a cost analysis when I was making pureed foods and they're cheaper to make by a long shot!