Thursday, February 17, 2011

Arugula Pesto


I had some arugula I needed to use and decided to make it into a pesto.  I had heard of such a recipe before  but just pulled this one together with things I had.  Both my husband and I thought it was really tasty.  If you don't have pine nuts, I think it would be good with almonds, walnuts, or pistachios.  I think it would also be great served with grilled chicken.  Here's my recipe.

Arugula Pesto

1 lb. pasta of your choice
2 cups arugula
1/2 cup fresh basil
1 lemon, zested
1-2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. pine nuts
2-3 cloves garlic, minced (depending on how big and how much you like garlic)
1/3 cup parmesan  or Romano cheese
salt and pepper
1/3 cup olive oil

Cook the pasta until al dente and reserve a cup of the pasta cooking water.  

Add the arugula, basil, lemon zest and juice, pine nuts, garlic, cheese, and salt & pepper to a food processor.  Pulse a few times to get the ingredients incorporated.  Turn the food processor on and slowly pour in the olive oil.  Add enough so that is becomes a creamy texture.  

Add the pesto sauce to the cooked pasta and toss.  Add a couple of tablespoons of the pasta water if the pasta needs to be thinned out.  Serve with a little more parmesan cheese on top and enjoy!  

No comments: