Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What I should be doing right now...

As part of my 500 Days of Refinement, some of my goals I want to accomplish have to do with reading.  I really do like to read, but as a full time student the past six years, "reading for pleasure" didn't really happen.  I am now starting to get back into the habit. 

What I did for my project is ask my husband, parents, and siblings the following question:

"If you had to pick only one book for me to read, what would it be?"

I thought it would be a fun way to have a reading queue all set up for me and to include books I maybe wouldn't have picked up otherwise.  Here are the responses I got.

Husband:  The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
Dad: The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Mom: Siddartha by Herman Hesse
Brother #1:  The Fifties by David Halberstam
Sister: The Mother in Me by various mothers
Brother #2:  Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Brother #3:  A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby

I have started The Count of Monte Cristo, but am only about four chapters into it.  At this rate, I probably won't even finish it in the next 500 days.  It's not that I don't like it, it is just intimidating because it is a very long book (I was specifically told I am not allowed to read the abridged version). 

On that note, I think I will hop in the tub and read a little before bed.  Goodnight!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Read Mine! Read Mine! It's very easy, enjoyable reading. You'll breeze through it - and love it! :) Oh, Perhaps you'd like to borrow my copy- I'll lend it to you when you come visit me! :)
In the meantime, good luck with Edmond Dantes.

Emily said...

lots of great posts, so I'm commenting on the most recent...
1. I feel the same about stockings
2. must try all those floats
3. beautiful photos
4. good job reading! I'd go crazy
can't wait to see you all so soon!