Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lemon Ginger Hummus with Homemade Pita Chips

I am a hummus lover.  I will try any kind you can throw at my and I generally like all types.  This recipe is one of my favorites that I have made.  I originally made it for a staff meeting where I used to work and it was a big hit.  I paired it with these homemade pita chips that I came up with by simply combining some of my favorite spices.  Let me tell you, the marriage of the two is fabulous.  The lemon and ginger really mesh well with the spices in the pita chips.  Here are the recipes!  Enjoy!
Lemon Ginger Hummus
2 (15 oz.) cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 medium lemons, juiced and zested (or 7 Tbs. lemon juice)
½ tsp salt
1" piece of ginger, peeled and minced finely (I use my zester to grate the ginger)
pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in food processor until desired texture is achieved. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so before serving.


Pita Chips 
4 Whole-Wheat pitas, cut into triangle pieces
2 Tbs. olive oil
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. ground coriander
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
½ tsp. garlic salt

View full reci Place pita triangles on a baking sheet. Mix oil and spices together in a bowl.  Use a basting brush to coat oil mixture on both sides of the pita triangles. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until golden and slightly crisp.

No comments: