Tuesday, September 28, 2010

SMART Goals - Part 5

(This is Part 5 of a 5 part post on setting goals.)  Click here for Part 4.
 
When it comes to health, setting goals is very important.  However, it is easy to make goals and then slowly (or even quickly sometimes) watch them fizzle out.  Let's talk about how we can make more effective goals!

SMART

S- Specific
M- Measureable
A- Attainable
R- Realistic
T- Time-Oriented

Time-Oriented:  Last, but not least, it is important that your goals are time-oriented.  This will help you get focused rather than putting things off.  Make sure your deadline isn't too far in the future.  Or if you do have a big goal that will take a while, make smaller goals along the way to help you reach the big one, as I mentioned before.
With my example, my half marathon race was my deadline.  Races are a great way for me to stay committed to my goal.  I figure, if I pay for a race, I want to be prepared and do well.  Therefore, I have to stay on top of everything.  If races aren't your thing try these other ideas.
  • simply make weekly or monthly goals, that way you have a strict amount of time that you have to accomplish things
  • pick a special day to work toward; birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, etc.  I once had a client who wanted to reach her goal by the time her son came home from serving a mission
Remember, make sure your goals are SMART goals.  Seriously, do it.  I challenge you.  Make 1 SMART goal health related or not.  You can do it!  Feel free to ask me for any advice or suggestions, or to just share what you want to work on and when you succeed.  I would love it.  Good luck!

No comments: