Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Corn Chowder


It is officially Autumn now and the other day it actually felt a little like it here.  So to celebrate I made some soup.  I love soups.  Soup is my favorite comfort food.  In the dead of winter, it can warm my soul.  Okay, maybe that is a little over the top, but it does hit the spot.
Corn chowder is one of my favorite soups.  I used to love love love the corn chowder at Mimi's Cafe until I actually made some myself.  Don't get me wrong, I still love theirs, but I like that my version has less of corn-starchy texture.  I used a few recipes to come up with my own.  I would recommend serving it with the Brown Sugar Muffins I mentioned last week.  I hope you enjoy!

Corn Chowder

5 strips of bacon, diced
1/2 a large onion, diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (or more or less to taste)
1 large potato, diced
2-1/2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half or whole milk


Cook bacon in a soup pot until browned.  In the meantime, blend celery with the chicken broth until smooth. (You don't have to do this, I just do to get a less chunky soup.  You could also blend the onion, especially if you are serving children).  In the same pot you cooked the bacon in, saute the onion and red pepper until soft (and celery if you choose not to blend it).  Add the garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper and cook 1 more minute.  Add the broth and celery mixture as well as the potatoes and corn.  Let simmer until the potatoes and corn are cooked all the way through, about 20-30 minutes.  Pour into bowls and top each serving with crumbled bacon.  Garnish with chopped cilantro if you have some on hand.  Enjoy!    

No comments: