Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Spicy BBQ Chicken Pizza


This was my first time making a pizza with a real crust. I usually use pita bread or ready-made crusts because I don't have the time. Although, I must confess that I used my breadmaker for this dough. So I guess I still haven't made the real thing.
The pizza was a success! When I say it was a success I mean that I really liked it and Landon really liked it. When it comes to pizza, Landon usually sticks to cheese and pepperoni. Not only did this pizza have BBQ sauce, it also had chicken, onion, red onion, yellow bell pepper, and fresh tomatoes. It was a novel experience for him and he really enjoyed it. He suggested it was a great "cold day" meal because it was nice and warm and the BBQ sauce was a little spicy.
Here is the recipe.

Half-Wheat Pizza Crust Dough (in breadmaker)
  • 1 cup water (80 degrees)
  • 2 Tbs. oil
  • 1 Tbs. sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 c. bread flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Quick-rise yeast (I use saf-instant)
Directions
  1. This recipe makes one thick crust or two thins crusts. Place dough on lightly floured surface and roll out (or toss, if you are brave) into desired shape (circle, rectangle, heart, etc.). Place on baking surface, I recommend a pizza stone. Generously prick dough with a fork.
  2. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges of crust begin to turn a light golden brown. Remove, add toppings and return to oven to bake an additional 15-20 minutes.
Toppings
  • your favorite BBQ sauce (I used Sunflower Market's Spicy BBQ Sauce)
  • chicken- shredded
  • cheese (I used shredded mozzarella)
  • any veggie toppings you like! I used yellow and red onions, yellow bell pepper, and tomatoes
Directions
  1. Mix chicken in BBQ sauce and spread over pizza crust, leaving a one inch border. Top with cheese and other toppings of your choice.
  2. ENJOY!
Ratings (scale of 0 to 10)
Landon: 8.0
Katherine: 8.0