Sunday, June 5, 2011

Grilled Margherita Pita Pizza


When asked what my favorite food is, I often say pizza.  My preferred pizza includes a thin, crispy crust, and any combination of fresh ingredients.  I love that there are countless possibilities when it comes to toppings.  For instance, caramelized sliced pears are simply divine on pizza in my opinion. 

With that said, nothing really beats the simple, yet tasty margherita pizza.  Tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and basil is just a terrific combination that I adore.  This is a perfect recipe to make with a fresh tomato and basil, so make sure to bookmark this recipe for when you have an abundance of each from your garden at the end of the summer. I've said it before, but I use pitas as my crust all the time for ease.  You can obviously make your own crust to make this even better.  Here is my version of the classic Italian pizza.
 
Grilled Margherita Pita Pizza (makes one pita pizza)

1 flat, round pita
1 tomato, chopped (mine was a roma, so about that size was perfect)
1 clove garlic, minced
olive oil
red pepper flakes

salt
fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into thin slices (enough to cover the pizza)
fresh basil leaves, cut in ribbons

Mix tomato with a splash of olive oil, garlic, salt, and some red pepper flakes.  Grill the mixture until the tomatoes become soft (I made a little foil package for mine like so).




Transfer the mixture back into a bowl and mush it up a little so it becomes more of a sauce, but with little chuncks of tomato still there.  

Drizzle olive oil on both sides of the pita and grill until it becomes golden and a little crispy.  Add tomato mixture and then top with mozzarella mixture.  Put your grill hood on to help the cheese melt (if using an indoor grill like me, place a bowl over your pizza).


  Continue to grill until the cheese is melted.  Top with fresh basil before serving and eat immediately. Enjoy! 

No comments: