Monday, January 10, 2011

Corny Pasta


The worst part about coming back from a 3-week Christmas vacation at my parents' house is realizing I have to plan and prepare meals again.  I enjoy cooking, it's the planning and shopping I don't care for as much.  I'm not sure how my mother (and women everywhere) has been planning and preparing meals for years and years.  Maybe it gets easier with experience?  I hope so.  Nevertheless, I feel so satisfied when I make a successful meal.  And this one was! I just changed a few minor things from Rachel Ray's Summer Corn Fettuccine, so I can't take credit for the idea.  I haven't tried many of her recipes but this one hit the spot.  If you like corn chowder, you will love this dish.  Here's the recipe.

Corny Pasta
Adapted from Rachel Ray

1 lb. fettuccine or other pasta
6 slices of bacon, chopped
2 cups of corn (fresh or frozen)
3 shallots, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup half-and-half or whole milk
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
a few shakes of cayenne pepper
1 cup grated Pecorino Romano 
1/4 cup basil leaves, cut in ribbons
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until rendered, golden, and crisp.  Remove the bacon and save for later.  Add the shallots, bell pepper, and 1.5 cups of corn to the bacon drippings.  Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes or until the veggies are tender.  
  3. Combine the remaining corn and half-and-half in a food processor and puree until smooth.
  4. Add the chicken broth to the veggies and let simmer for a minute or two to reduce.  Add the corn mixture and thyme.  Stir often and let the mixture thicken.  Add the cayenne pepper and stir.
  5. Add the drained pasta to a serving bowl and grate the Pecorino Romano on top.  Pour the sauce over the pasta and toss to coat.  Top the pasta with bacon and basil and serve. Enjoy!

No comments: