Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cinco de Mayo, it's holiday time!

I'm back! I know it has been a while. Like always, my excuse is that I was busy with school. But now that it is Spring/Summer term, I am only taking thesis credits and have zero coursework! Yea!

I realized it was Cinco de Mayo while I was at work yesterday. So while I walked home, I came up with this festive meal...


Dora's Mexican rice, Refried Beans, and Chile Lime Quesadillas

I was really happy with the way this meal turned out. And it surprisingly took little time. The rice recipe is from a family friend who comes from family of excellent Mexican cooking. It is authentic, easy, and delicious. The beans and quesadillas are satisfying creations from simple ingredients that were already in my pantry. Here are the recipes.

Dora's Mexican Rice

Ingredients
2 cups rice
1-8 oz. can of Mexican Style tomato sauce
4 cups water
5 tsp chicken flavor bouillon
drizzle of olive oil
Pinch of salt
  1. Drizzle olive oil in a 2 qt pot. Heat oil and add rice. Cover rice in oil and heat until golden. Do not let the rice burn. This gives the rice a nice authentic texture.
  2. Add water, tomato sauce, and bouillon. Stir until well mixed.
  3. Let simmer until rice is done. Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Refried Beans

I would like to make real refried beans one day, but I was short on time last night. So here is what I came up with.

1 can refried beans
1 Tbs lime juice
Sprinkle of goat or feta cheese
cilantro
  1. Mix and heat through.
  2. Garnish with cheese and cilantro
The lime juice definitely spruced up the boring can of beans.

Chile Lime Quesadillas

Ingredients
1-16 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1-4 oz. can chiles
1 Tbs lime juice
1/4 cup salsa
1/2 cup pepperjack cheese
cilantro
4 tortillas of your choice
  1. Drizzle olive oil in pan and turn heat to medium.
  2. Add beans, chiles, lime juice, and salsa.
  3. Mix and heat through.
  4. Add half of the mixture to one tortilla and the other half to another. Top with cheese and cilantro. Top each quesadilla with a second tortilla.
  5. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
I would recommend enjoying this meal with horchata, preferably served in a margherita glass. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Annie said...

Delicious! I love adding lime juice in Mexican cooking! We had quesidillas for Cinco de Mayo too! No horchata for us though. Darn! Oh, and I love those glasses! I bet someone really great gave them to you, huh? :)
Glad to see you posting again. I posted as well. (more to come) Check it out! :)

Annie said...

I see that you just left a comment on my recent post. I guess you already checked it out! :) Still....more to come!!!

Linda said...

Hi Nater! You're Cinco de Mayo meal turned out great! It looks yummy! Glad that you had fun with it!

Linda said...

Woops! I really meant "Your Cinco de Mayo meal turned out great!"