Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Garden Pesto Pasta


This pasta dish of my mom's is one of my favorite recipes of all time. For the past eight years or so, this dish has been my request for my birthday meal. I love pasta, and this dish blows traditional spaghetti sauce out of the water. I like meatless spaghetti sauce, but pesto is just spectacular. This particular pesto sauce uses parsley, but I'm sure fresh basil would be great too. I like to serve it with a strawberry and spinach salad, and bread to dip in olive oil. This recipe also works well for a green themed dinner for St. Patrick's Day (especially if you can feel your arteries start to clog while eating corned beef)!
Here is the recipe!

Garden Pesto Pasta

Blenderize:
2 cups fresh parsley
1 tsp. each dried basil, oregano, marjoram, and salt (I never use marjoram because I don't have it)
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed (I usually use more)
1/3 cup olive oil

Cook half a pound of spaghetti or linguine (go for whole wheat, you can do it!), drain. Add pesto sauce and toss. Top with parmesan cheese and pine nuts. You can also serve it with grilled chicken on top.

Tip: I make the pesto sauce with the whole bunch of parsley (about double or so) and then adjust the rest of the ingredients. This way, you can freeze the extra pesto for a quick meal later and you don't have to feel bad about wasting the fresh parsley.

3 comments:

Annie said...

One of my favs too! I made it last week from parsley that I GREW in my herb garden!!! Oh wow! :)

Rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tricia said...

Sorry, I am really new to this whole making pesto thing, and I was wondering- do you use the stems of the parsley? Or do you cut them off? And you said you use a bunch of the parsley. Like the bunch from the grocery store tied in a twisty tie? Thanks Katherine :)