Tuesday, October 5, 2010

When Broken Glass Floats by Chanrithy Him


Have you read this book?  I have intended on reading it for the past couple of years, and I have finally had the chance to do it.  I really did enjoy it.
It is a memoir of a Cambodian girl who grows up under the Khmer Rouge, a communist organization in Cambodia in the 1970s that resulted in genocide.  It is of course, a sad book, but very humbling.  The whole time I had to remind myself that this was going on only 30ish years ago.  The lack of technology made me think it happened so long ago.  A common subject in the book is food, or rather, the lack of food.  I found myself feeling hungry whenever I read about the poor rice rations they would receive.  Yearning for food was a guiding emotion throughout the whole book, however, longing to be with family and loved ones was even stronger.
I would definitely recommend it.  I learned a lot and like many books with similar themes, it made me appreciate what I have and where I live.

2 comments:

Mike said...

It turns out I read this book my freshman year and I actually got to meet Chanrithy Him's youngest brother. It was pretty interesting experience. My professor didn't tell us that we were going to meet him, he just showed up on the day we were supposed to have finished reading the book. I gave that book to mom quite a few years ago. Did she recommend the book to you?

Katherine said...

Yeah, I borrowed Mom's copy. She liked it and I remembered that you had read it and given it to her. I didn't know that you met her brother- very cool.